Worldwide English:English for the Hotel, Travel and Tourism Industry
This course is for people who need to use or who are preparing to use English in their day-to-day work in hotel, tourism, hospitality and travel industries.
The core language skills are developed through a wide range of tasks which closely reflect the user’s world of work.
Particular emphasis is placed on realistic and integrated communication tasks which give students the opportunity to build confidence and improve fluency.
The course deals with different work situations, including reception, restaurant and bar work, answering the phone, giving directions, dealing with guests' problems, writing short e-mails and letters, suggesting places to visit, and explaining how things work. The focus throughout the course is on the language which workers in the hotel, travel and tourism industry need to understand and use in their working environment.
Example areas covered:
● Expanding vocabulary
● Improving customer relations
● Greeting formally
● Differentiating formal & informal situations
● Accepting payments / Explaining bills
● Requesting information
● Seeking clarification
● Dealing with requests
● Describing hotels and hotel facilities/services
● Granting permission / Refusing permission
● Answering complaints
● Giving (indoor and outdoor) directions
● Increasing sales
● Working with numbers and dates
● Recommending / Suggesting
● Reselling / Upselling
● Using the telephone
● Describing food and restaurants